Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Laundry room love...

“We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy, even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry.”
-E. B. White

As mentioned in the last post, the laundry room was my area to decorate (with no complaints from Rob!). It was all mine.

When I pinned this herringbone laundry room (pictured below) from Design Build Love, I knew I needed this funky pattern in mine, too. And, it was also a perfect excuse to participate in the Winter edition of the Pinterest Challenge.


I mocked up the pattern in Illustrator before I started... didn't want to find myself stuck in the middle of the project not knowing what to paint next. My wall is 6ft by 8ft, and I divided it into four columns and 8 rows. I gathered a bunch of paint swatches and compared them to the khaki walls already there. I bought a quart of semi-gloss paint in each of the following colors: Valspar Tequila, Valspar Colony Sand, and Olympic Summer Breeze. (A quart was more than enough, but the smaller sample cans were not available in semi-gloss. Boo.)


On Friday afternoon, this is what my laundry room looked like. Boring, sad khaki walls... don't worry, I'll rescue you.


I used 1" Scotch brand Edge-Lock tape to create my paint boundaries. I used the string/weight technique that I've seen Young House Love use to get perfectly straight vertical lines. I'm a believer... it worked!


I used a small roller to roll each color into its designated area. I let it dry overnight, and then the next morning, did one more quick swipe over areas that needed a second coat.


On Sunday afternoon I peeled back the tape, oohing and aahing as the pattern emerged.


We hung the shelf back up, and now I'm just waiting for the washer and dryer (it's delivered with the rest of our furniture next Friday). In the next couple of weeks, be on the lookout for a couple more "pinspired" projects to finish it up!


If you want to check out some other projects in the Winter edition of the Pinterest challenge, click on over to Katie’s, Ana’s, Erin’s, and Sherry's.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love it so much!!! It turned out GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is sooooo awesome- you did an amazing job and I love the colors! Thanks so much for giving me the heads up on your project! If it's ok with you, I'd love to feature it on my blog as a reader redesign!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...