Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Photo Challenge: Day 8

"Life beats down and crushes the soul, and art reminds you that you have one."
-Stella Adler


Day 8 (05/25/11): A photo of something close up.
After my students finished their final exam on Monday, I promised them videos for the rest of the week. (Don't even ask me why their finals were scheduled a week before school gets out!) I worked really hard to find videos that were math-related, but still interesting. Yesterday my history of numbers documentary didn't go over very well. Perhaps they're still a little young to get the narrator's dry humor.

I was cautiously excited about today's offering. I rearranged our Netflix queue to immediately ship Between the Folds, a recent documentary that showcases the artistic, cultural, historical, mathematical, and technological aspects of origami. I also offered a stack of colored paper, available for the students to experiment as they watched. Although third period was "too cool" to fold paper and kept telling me how those people "don't have lives," the two other classes were really intrigued. And, creative! The picture above is a close-up of my favorite creation from today: a peacock with a cute little beak.

Btw... I totally recommend both of these documentaries, if you enjoy that kind of thing. I found both of them fascinating!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun way to enjoy a documentary! (you know I need to watch that now with a stack of paper)

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...