Tuesday, October 14, 2014

September Project #1: E-Learning Modules

“If we teach today as we taught yesterday, we rob our children of tomorrow.”
-John Dewey

The end of September seemed like crazy time for me... the deadlines of five different projects were scheduled within a week of each other. Projects that I have put my heart and soul into for months... Projects that I am extremely proud of... Projects that I was eager to see completed and well-received...

I just want to share a few snapshots of several of these projects over the next few posts...

Project #1: Genetics e-learning modules
The Genetics department at work asked me if I would be willing to help them create self-directed learning modules for first-year medical students based on three different clinical scenarios. While not directly aligned with my current job description, projects like these are right up my alley.

My design/communications/e-learning experience was matched with a clinical geneticist who acted as the content expert for the project.

I worked in a program called Articulate Storyline and was able to devise some really neat interactions for the students to get instant feedback as they worked through the modules. Here's the behind-the-scenes screenshot and a snippet of the storyboard used for one of the modules. The neat thing about this program is how easy it is to create branching storylines for a "choose-your-own-adventure" experience.


I held my breath and kept my fingers crossed on the day that we released the modules to the students. A little technological glitch or small conflicts with the content could ruin the whole thing. Luckily there were only two students who had trouble accessing the modules, and I had unintentionally, but luckily built a way around it!

Here are a few screenshots from the modules themselves:




I could totally see myself creating similar modules and organizing such projects as a full-time career in a few years. A perfect blend of my passions for education and design. In the meantime, I'll be trying to get my hands on another project like this so that I can beef up my portfolio.



2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! It would be so cool to be able do this as a full-time job from home!!!

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...