Thursday, August 14, 2008

Following in my footsteps

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” -A. A. Milne

My cousin Camille moves into her dorm at Georgia Tech today. She is beginning as a freshman in just a few days, and Rob and I are just thrilled that she is attending our alma mater. My aunt has said several times (and even Camille admits) that I was one of her biggest reasons for choosing Tech. Camille was a bridesmaid in our wedding, and she reminds me a lot of myself when I was her age.I was so worried about moving away and finding friends, 546 miles from home. I remember debating about whether to rush or not (a decision that Camille is grappling with as well)—was that the only way to make friends at a big school? But that’s not really my style. My mom (oh wise mom!) gave me advice that I have never forgotten. She said that ultimately I should go with my gut, but that if a sorority was not for me, perhaps I should nurture another devotion, big or small. One example she gave was to become really close friends with Camille and her younger brother. She said a commitment like that was just as admirable.

This week, six years after I move into a dorm at Georgia Tech, I’m proud to say that I think I accomplished that goal. And even better than this realization... knowing that our friendship and love continues to grow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...