Friday, January 04, 2008

Loving them In-Laws

If marriage were outlawed, only outlaws would have in-laws.
-Author Unknown

This holiday season Rob and I have gained a lot of insight about each other’s families. Although we dated for right at five years before our wedding and had met each other’s families on numerous occasions, there is a new sense of appreciation. We always say that our families look a lot alike on paper, but in reality, they couldn’t be more different. Let’s just say, there has always been a lot of anxiety about getting together.

That’s when I really miss my dad and grandmother. Each of their fun-loving, easy-going, patient spirits would have made the transition to “son-in-law” so much easier for Rob and my whole family.

However, both our visit to Florida for Thanksgiving and our trip to Louisiana for Christmas were extremely enjoyable. It seemed that we achieved the right amount of balance between family time and couple time, and approached most things from a united front. Plus, I think our parents gave us more respect than in the past.

Another note about in-laws… Rob’s grandfather stopped through Atlanta the other day on his way down to Florida. I have met him several times, but for the first time I got the chance to sit down with him one on one. Grandpa arrived at our apartment while Rob was still dodging traffic on his commute home. I just really enjoyed our conversation. Rob always tells stories about how strict and demanding Grandpa is, how he and his sister would drop everything to do what he told them to do. But the other night, I got to experience a totally different side of his personality. We chatted about cars, jobs, Rob’s and my wedding, our families, and our dreams. I see a lot of Rob in him: the quick temper and the feistiness, yet also the thoughtfulness and the determination.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...