Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Beach or Bust...

"Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live."
-Mark Twain

My Friday started at 3:15 in the morning. Still in my pjs, I dropped Rob, his bike, and his gear off in a grocery store parking lot.

While I headed back to bed for a power nap before work, Rob and fourteen of his cycling buddies began their epic bike ride... from Spartanburg to Charleston! In one day!

After working (almost) all day, I headed that way myself. In a car though! (I'm not as crazy as them!)

About 10 pm, we could see a slow line of lights coming down the road. From the driveway, we cheered on the group as they pedaled through the last of the 240+ miles.


The cycling group rented an amazing house (just across the street from the beach!) for the weekend. So on Saturday, Rob and I celebrated his accomplishment accordingly with a beach day.

We wandered up and down Sullivan's Island and the Isle of Palms, squishing our toes in the sand, looking in tide pools, and just enjoying each other's company.


On Sunday Rob joined the group on a short ride into the city. He wasn't sure if his legs (or crotch) could handle it, but apparently the pace was slow and leisurely.

While he rode, I enjoyed (well, as much as one can enjoy running) a 4-mile jog on the beach and then curled up with a magazine on a beach blanket. (I'm regretting not rubbing sunscreen on my legs first.)


To wrap up our epic weekend, we met up with my sister-in-law and favorite boys for a late lunch at Cracker Barrel. Their path from grandma's house happened to cross ours, and we were glad that they timed their journey so that we could spend an hour with them.


Even though our weekend was restful and relaxing (for me at least!), Monday morning still came early. But, it's back to the real world... at least until we escape on our mystery getaway this Friday.

1 comment:

  1. What a cool journey they made--although I'm glad it was them and not me. Glad that you had a nice, relaxing time, too! Can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...