Thursday, August 04, 2011

Making it a habit...

"Motivation is what gets you started.  Habit is what keeps you going."
-Jim Ryun

While trying to embrace this little "vacation" I have going right now, I have also decided to try to establish some good habits. They (the almighty "they") say that a routine takes about three to four weeks to establish. I'm halfway through week two on all three, so hopefully I'll make it through.

First off, I bought a new water bottle with the hopes of increasing my water consumption and decreasing my coke and food consumption. Of course, when Rob saw it... his reaction was, "we don't have enough water bottles already?!?!" But, this one is just for me and had to meet my specifications--clear sides, comfortable opening to drink from, and rather sturdy. So far, I've been filling it up throughout the day, taking it with me as I walk to Sylvan, and carrying it around the apartment with me. My daily intake so far has been about two bottle-fuls. I'm still having a caffeine-free coke around lunchtime, I have noticed that I've been snacking less--although that could be because we simply have very little food in the cabinets.


Drinking more water brings us to my second goal... exercise more. Although we brought my bike up to SC in one of our early moves, it's just too bleeping hot to ride. I envy those of you who enjoy a long run, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'm an aerobics kind of gal. So instead, I've been grooving every morning to a workout video. I've decided to use the same video for five days in a row, and then start over with a new one each week. That way, I can really improve throughout the week, but still get variety in my workout. This week's video is a killer with its wall-sits and planks. But, hopefully I'm getting stronger and might even lose my little pudge (hey, how'd that get there anyway?)


Lastly, after watching CJane's vlog explanation of her zone cleaning, I've been inspired to divide our new little apartment into six cleaning zones. On Monday I tackle the bathrooms, Tuesday the bedroom and closets. On Wednesday I clean the kitchen and the laundry room, while Thursday is for the dining room and the living room. Friday is all about the guest bedroom/office area, while I leave Saturday and Sunday for laundry. We're beginning to embrace our 2-bedroom apartment and its lack of furniture (as most of it is still sitting in our house, staged and waiting to be bought). But, I've made it my goal to keep it as tidy and as uncluttered as possible.

Now, the trick will be to see if I can keep up with these routines. Especially when (notice I said when, not if) I get a full-time gig!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay you! When I get back home, I'm going to try to find some sort of new routine that involves an exercise I can do with one arm and back to good eating.

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...