Saturday, July 15, 2006

A New Friend

"A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are."
-Anonymous

And, what a blessing it is to know in an instant that a person is your friend. Lisa is the preacher at Epworth UMC where I've been visiting. From the moment I walked into the sanctuary on my first Sunday, we had a connection. A connection that I don't remember feeling anywhere else before. She took a genuine interest in my story. Last week she stopped by my house after work. We chatted for over an hour. It was absolutely amazing. We talked about ourselves, our families, the church, mission work--everything.

I am who I am because of all of the laughter and the tears in my life. But, I don't make it a point to share all of these moments with someone the minute I meet them. I'm proud of these obstacles--they're embedded within every bone in my body. But, these are things that I usually share as a relationship develops--as the trust grows. And even then, I feel a bit vulnerable afterwards. However, it just felt right to share these intimate stories with Lisa right off the bat. And, instead of vulnerability, I felt a sort of peace.

I may have met an angel, and if not an angel, then most definitely a friend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...