Monday, January 23, 2012

Starburst patchwork...

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to weave."
-Mignon McLaughlin


Can't promise this is the best/most efficient/most effective way to create a starburst patchwork! For this project, I didn't care much about fitting an exact size, so I didn't measure too closely (who am I kidding... that's not unique to this project, it's my normal method for crafting). And, yes, my result is a little wonky in places... the starburst didn't exactly close just how I wanted it to. But, I'm okay with that.

Next time, and yes, there will be a next time, I'll try to follow this tutorial from Film in the Fridge a little bit closer. In fact, maybe that quilt will be the next starburst project... or maybe just a couple of blocks to make an awesome pillow.

But, if you want to make your own starburst, here's my way...

  1. Cut strips of two different fabric patterns (preferably one solid and one pattern). Mine were about 8" long and between 3-4" wide. In the end, I needed 11 strips of each color, but I wasn't quite sure how many I would need until I was done.
  2. Pin strips of contrasting fabrics together at an angle. You want to match up one long edge of the solid strip with the diagonal of the patterned strip.
  3. Sew along this diagonal line. Repeat with 10 other pairs of strips.
  4. Press the seam open, and trim the pattern strip on the side where the seam allowance is.
  5. Pin together two pairs at an angle. Match up the side of a patterned piece with the diagonal of the solid strip. Sew, press, and trim.
  6. Continue matching up pairs until you create a full circle.

1 comment:

  1. I think the slight wonkiness makes it much more interesting, personally! I lovve it!

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...