Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reverse applique...

"I challenge you to be dreamers; I challenge you to be doers and let us make the greatest place in the world even better."
-Brian Schweitzer


When I first dreamed of this project, I imagined the starburst peeking through a hole in a solid color fabric. I had to do a little online research to discover the "reverse applique" method. Thankfully I was able to adapt this tutorial from Sweet Verbena (super cute t-shirt, by the way!!) for my project.

Here's how I achieved the look for myself:

  1. Cut a rectangle out of khaki fabric. I wanted mine to ultimately fit in a 8x10" frame, so I cut my rectangle just larger... 9.5" by 11.5".
  2. Cut out a pattern shape from a cardstock. I free-handed a house shape, but then folded it in half to make it as symmetrical as possible.
  3. Trace around the pattern with a fabric marking pen.
  4. Cut out a rectangle of fusible interfacing just smaller than your khaki fabric. Mine was probably 8" by 10".
  5. Iron the fusible interfacing onto the back of your patterned fabric (or in this case, my starburst patchwork), as directed by the interfacing. Usually this requires steam and a damp pressing cloth.
  6. Trim around the patterned fabric, no need to deal with all of that extra fabric.
  7. Pin the patterned fabric to the back of the khaki fabric. Make sure that the tracing lines and the pattern are facing the same way and that your pins don't cross the tracing lines.
  8. Use a small and tight zigzag stitch to sew around the tracing lines to attach the patterned fabric to the khaki fabric.
  9. Trim the patterned fabric, leaving about 1/4" from the seam.
  10. Pinch up the top layer of khaki fabric (making sure not to grab the bottom layer!!) and cut an "x" to allow your scissors better access.
  11. Carefully use microtip scissors to trim close to the inside edge of the seam. In this project, I trimmed as close as possible. With knits or other fabrics, I might leave a bigger margin.
  12. Use water to remove the ink from the fabric marking pen. 
  13. Voila! All you have to do now is find a frame and a place on the wall to hang! Although it would make an adorable pillow front or totebag as well!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...