Friday, May 30, 2008

Family Trees

“In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future.”
-Alex Haley


This week at work has been a bit slow, I've been waiting for clients to call me back to review the work I did last week, and it seems like they have higher priorities than me. Imagine that! :) Summer in my office also means that everyone is on vacation. Over half the office has been out of town yesterday and today, making it even harder to motivate myself to find work to do.

So instead, I got a harebrained idea. My grandmother was a genealogist and family historian, and was able to track that side of the family back all the way to the 16th century!! However, my dad's side of the family seemed to stop two generations back. So I signed up for a free trial at ancestry.com and got started. And surprisingly, I made a lot of progress.


I was able to go back to my 6th great grandfather, Henri, who immigrated to the United States from France!!! Our family does have a history!!!

And then, I thought, what about Rob’s family? I got lucky there, too, and was able to find two sets of third great grandparents: Dietrich and Margarethe, and Johann and Lesha, all who immigrated from Germany.
So needless to say, I’m hooked, and have emails out to my grandmother and to Rob’s mom to help fill in the blanks.

1 comment:

  1. I beleive that Mimi has a book about the Jamar family.

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...