Monday, January 19, 2009

Biking Babes

“Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” -H.G. Wells

Flying down the road, our adrenaline flowing. After a quick bike ride on the Withlacoochee bike trail while we were down in Florida for Christmas, we were hooked. Last weekend we spent all day looking at bike shops here in Buford and down in Atlanta. Rob had been doing some research, and we were ready to try them out.
It was quite a breezy day, meaning extra chilly test rides. I was getting very frustrated because very few shops stock extra-small bikes. I'm usually very comfortable with how I look and who I am, but that day I sure was wishing that I could grow a couple of more inches.
But when I got to the local bike shop in Buford, they had a used women's comfort bike which fit just perfectly. Even though I was apprehensive about spending so much on a new hobby, once I found a bike that fit, I was ready to pay whatever was necessary.
Through a college friend, Rob heard of a racing bike for sale in Athens, so he rode up on Sunday to give it a try. He was thrilled because it seemed to be a great deal for a bike for him. He was ready to come home and go for a ride. However, he accidentally let the all of the air out of front tire and couldn't get it pumped up again.
The next day, in 30 degree weather, Rob suited up for a twenty minute ride around the neighborhood before dinner. He was frozen when he came back in. This weekend I decided to join him. It was a little bit warmer, but not much. I had on three shirts, two pairs of paints, three pairs of socks, gloves, a scarf, and a fleece hat. And, little did I know, I had the tag hanging off the top of my helmet. Quite a sight I was. Rob doesn't look quite as ridiculous as me, but I'll bet he was colder than me, too!

1 comment:

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...