Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Great Debate

“The most important thing for a good marriage is to learn how to argue peaceably.”
-Anita Ekberg

Rules of debating politics with your spouse so that neither of you end up sleeping on the couch!

  1. Headline your view. Start the debate with a summary of your opinion: what it is and how important it is to you. And then keep that in mind as we banter back and forth.
  2. Don’t tell me what I believe. I’m interested in hearing what you believe, not your misunderstanding of what you think I believe.
  3. Don’t try to convince me to change my opinion. Although my opinions are likely to shift a little bit over time, I can almost guarantee that they are not going to flip 180 degrees during this debate.
  4. I don’t have to know all of the answers. Politics is not my job, nor is it even my hobby. I lean towards a viewpoint, but I haven’t always worked out all of the details. And it’s rarely black or white.
  5. My opinion matters. Whether you agree with it or not. So listen and acknowledge what I’m saying.
  6. Keep it fun. Be able to laugh at your self and your views. Rob has decided that he needs a t-shirt that reads, “I have a sense of humor. I married a Democrat.” That's funny. Now can I have one that says the opposite?!?!
  7. Let’s agree to disagree.
  8. Know when to stop. I’m still working on this one. But when it does get out of hand, it’s best just to leave it be. You don’t always have to have the last word.
Next step, pray that November comes quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Good rules for ALL family members when debating politics!! haha

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...