Monday, June 16, 2014

Workshop of Wonders VBS ... the decor

"You are the God who works wonders."
-Psalm 77:14a


Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Puppet stage with pegboard
Puppet stage and centerpiece of the Workshop of Wonders. Frame made from PVC. Pegboard held on by zip-ties. Tools and graphics from the Publicity CD.

Back in February I found myself in charge of leading Vacation Bible School at my church. (I had planned to be one of the main leaders, but didn't plan to be the ONLY leader.) Luckily some of my friends volunteered to help me out, to let me bounce ideas off of them, and to join me for a few planning meetings over lunch or wine.

Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Under construction altar
Under construction altar
Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Habitat for Humanity missions progress
Habitat for Humanity mission project progress ... kids will bring spare change to "build a house" together

For the last few months I've had all of the behind-the-scenes logistics, volunteer recruitment, and advertising occupying a large percentage of the real estate in my mind. And, it might have all been worth it to see it all come together last night!

Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Paper plate gears in hallway
Plastic tablecloths and paper plate gears hang in the Main Hallway
Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Paper plate gears in hallway

My favorite part of the VBS planning is decorating... transforming the hallways and classrooms with basically paper and balloons. We're using the Workshop of Wonders VBS curriculum from Cokesbury, and I've been collecting inspiration images to my VBS 214 Workshop of Wonders Pinterest Board, but knew that I would put my own spin on it.

Lots of gears, robots, construction, and art supplies... with a special focus on our mission project for the week: Habitat for Humanity.

Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Foamboard & plastic tablecloth paintbrush
Foamboard & plastic tablecloth paintbrush hung on dropcloth-draped bleachers in the Gym
Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Balloon and paper plate gear wall
Wall in the Preschool Room covered in balloons and paper plate gears

Armed with plastic tablecloths, streamers, balloons, and cut-outs of the Workshop of Wonders clip art, I worked up at the church each evening last week. And, then came each day to find the tape melted and the decorations on the floor :(

Luckily with a couple of "aha" moments and clever uses of binder clips, straight pins, duct tape, and fishing line, things seem to be holding tight, and hopefully will stay that way through the end of the week.

Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Plastic tablecloth "paint" spilling from buckets
Plastic tablecloth "paint" spilling from buckets and tissue paper pom poms in the Craft Room

I am excited to report that the first night (last night) went off without a big hitch!! We only had one crying child and one schedule confusion, but both were handled quickly. We have only lost a handful of balloons as well. Hopefully the good luck will continue through the rest of the week!

Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Habitat for Humanity Missions area
Habitat for Humanity wall of photos and facts in the Missions/Snack area

We've got a whole week of extraordinary adventures planned at VBS. I can't wait to show you the all of the fun crafts, snacks, and other odds and ends. And, most importantly, I can't wait for it all to be over on Thursday evening... I'm ready to hang up my VBS hat for a while.

Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Bible story area
Bible Story area
Dancing Commas :: Workshop of Wonders VBS :: Tissue paper pom poms and decorative mesh hung from ceiling
Tissue paper pom poms and decorative mesh hung from the ceiling in the Music Room

Want a trip down memory lane? Click here to see photos of the decorations from last year's VBS!




1 comment:

  1. OH my goodness, these are soooo cute! I know you put in lots of hours to pull this off, but it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...