Monday, August 10, 2009

I teach 8th graders

"I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework."
-Lily Tomlin as "Edith Ann"

As of today, when someone asks me what I do for a living, I can finally answer them in one sentence (no explanations needed!). I just say, "I'm an 8th grade Math teacher." Most will ask me if I'm crazy, and I'll just laugh.
This is the image I used to illustrate my career history in my "Welcome to Algebra!" powerpoint today. Then, I looked down and realized that I couldn't have matched this illustration any better than I did today. Puffy sleeves, pencil skirt, and all! Although hopefully, fingers crossed, I'm a little bit more stylish than Ms. Teacher here.
The first day of school flew by. And, that's despite the fact that as of 5pm this afternoon (after class!!), I still had not received the class rosters. Hopefully by tomorrow morning!!

My students sat relatively attentatively as we ran through the class expectations, and actually seemed to enjoy the "Would You Rather..." game that we played. I'm sure the little devils' horns will show soon, but today went delightfully smoothly. Tomorrow we hit the ground running with actual math!

2 comments:

  1. Whoops--I just sent you an email asking about your first day of school. Glad to hear it went well!! Congrats on officially being a math teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! The first day is behind you. Soon it will feel like you've been doing it forever. Good luck on the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete

You might also enjoy...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...